Modern History Of India
Point vise description. For a quick revision.
- Rise of British rule in India.
- Columbus named America as Red Indian
- Vasco da Gama lands in Kozhikode, and is warmly welcomed by the Samoothiri of Kozhikode.
- Zamorin was the title of king of kozhikode, west bengal.
Country’s who came firstly in India.
- Portuguese (20 May 1498 AD.)
- Dutch (1602 AD.)
- British (1608 AD.)
- Danish (1616 AD.)
- French (1664 AD.)
- Swedish (1731 AD.)
East India Company : –
As British was having the biggest influence in the history of India so we will start from here.
- Arrival of British was the out-come of the Portuguese profit by selling merchandise in India.
- A group of English merchants “Merchants adventures” formed the East India Company in 1599 AD.
- Company also received Royal charter by Queen Elizabeth I on Dec 31, 1600 AD.
- Queen was also a share holder in the EIC
A bit about the EIC (East India Company)
- Company was formed in 1599 AD.
- In 1608 AD. EIC send “Caption Willion Howkins”
- Hawkins travelled to Agra to negotiate consent for a factory from Emperor Jahangir in 1609.
- He got permission to established the factory at Western Cost of India.
- In 1615 AD. “Sir Thomas Roe” was sent by Emperor James I of England to Jahangir’s Court.
- He succeed in getting permission to trade in whole Mughal area.
EIC come in western coast in Surat Gujrat. They were having conflicts with the –
Blue Star Policy – by Portuguese for tax on Ships.